“Goals did not make us kings… dragons did.” The primary trailer for Sport of Thrones prequel Home of the Dragon teases a have a look at the rise of the dragon-riding, sibling-marrying Targaryens 200 years earlier than George R.R. Martin’s fantasy hit. It is coming to HBO in 2022.
This, launched Oct. 5, 2021, is full of luxurious units and medieval violence as star Matt Smith guarantees gods, kings, fireplace — and blood.
Not so much has been revealed in regards to the new present, however this is what we all know to this point.
In 2019, Martin printed a big Targaryen historical past, Hearth & Blood Vol. 1, which delves into technology after technology of the dragon-riding household that finally produced Daenerys, one of many main characters within the HBO Sport of Thrones sequence.
With all that tangled Targaryen drama now accessible, the ebook naturally needed to encourage a brand new present. And sure, the ebook blends in loads of different Westeros households, together with the Starks and Lannisters, lengthy earlier than Ned and Arya and Cersei and Tyrion got here alongside.
The brand new sequence is ready 300 years earlier than the occasions of Sport of Thrones. It will not be alone: Two different potential Sport of Thrones successor reveals are nonetheless being kicked round, The Hollywood Reporter says, although the most-talked-about one, specializing in, is not one among them.
Forged and crew
Martin himself and producer-writer Ryan Condal are listed as co-creators of the sequence.
Condal will write the present and function co-showrunner together with Miguel Sapochnik. It’s possible you’ll know Condal because the showrunner of the USA Community sci-fi present Colony, which ran from 2016-2018. “Working with Ryan on the event of Home of the Dragon has been a dream,” Martin wrote on his web site.
Sapochnik will direct the pilot plus extra episodes. Followers would possibly know Sapochnik’s title — he directed 5 Sport of Thrones episodes, profitable an Emmy and a Administrators Guild Award for guiding the spectacular Battle of the Bastards episode.
This is the forged:
- Paddy Considine as Viserys Targaryen, King of the Seven Kingdoms.
- Emma D’Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, a dragonrider who expects to develop into the Seven Kingdoms’ first ruling queen.
- Olivia Cooke as Girl Alicent Hightower, raised within the Pink Maintain and often called probably the most comely lady within the Seven Kingdoms.
- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen, Viserys’s youthful brother.
- Rhys Ifans as Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of the King and rival of Prince Daemon.
- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon, the “Sea Snake.”
- Eve Greatest as Princess Rhaenys Velaryon, a dragonrider and spouse of Lord Corlys often called the “Queen Who By no means Was.”
- Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria, Daemon’s most trusted ally.
- Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole, a talented swordsman of Dornish descent.
- Graham McTavish as Ser Harrold Westerling, a soldier of the Kingsguard and bodyguard to Princess Rhaenyra.
- Ryan Corr as Ser Harwin Sturdy, often called “Breakbones” and mentioned to be the strongest man within the Seven Kingdoms.
- Jefferson Corridor as Lord Jason Lannister/Ser Tyland Lannister, equivalent twins.
- Invoice Paterson as Lord Lyman Beesbury: Lord of Honeyholt and Grasp of Coin on King Viserys’s small council.
Launch date, manufacturing information
HBO has positioned a full-season order for 10 episodes of the brand new present. It is going to be launched in 2022.
Again in 2019 when the present was introduced Martin mentioned on his web site that Condal had already performed “a substantial quantity of writing,” However he famous that as of the announcement in October 2019, there is no forged and crew, no full episodes, and no budgets or manufacturing particulars.
Martin additionally mentioned he would not know the place the brand new present will movie, however the settings would possibly look acquainted. “I count on we’ll revisit at the very least a number of the nations David (Benioff) & Dan (Weiss) used for Sport of Thrones (Eire, Iceland, Scotland, Croatia, Morocco, Malta, and Spain),” Martin wrote. And if he can get that pesky Winds of Winter ebook completed, the creator mentioned he.
Plot rumors and theories
Rattling, Hearth & Blood is a giant ebook (over 700 pages lengthy), masking 150 years of Targaryen historical past. And Martin has plans for a second quantity sometime. A ten-episode present, even when it is renewed for one more season or extra after that, cannot probably cowl each occasion within the ebook.
However in response to Leisure Weekly, “the present will deal with a interval that leads as much as, then finally contains, probably the most dramatic occasion throughout Targaryen rule: The Dance of Dragons, the Targaryen Civil Conflict.”